Forum

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Ways to Involve Kids in DIY

I have two small children (ages six and four) and I love doing DIY projects. I've found that it's tough to work on a DIY project and keep the children entertained. I don't want to exclude the kids from my projects, but I feel like I won't be able to work on projects otherwise.

Does anyone have any tips for how I can involve my kids in my DIY projects?

I love to do DIY projects too. I've always let the kids help too. I don't know what kinds of projects you are doing but there is always something they can help with. What projects are you doing?

I have always given the kids paper and paint/crayons to make pictures for any room we have worked on. You could have them help with cleaning too. They can be your supply people too.

I always let my kids help paint, I just paint over it to give it the finished look. You could try some DIY projects that are geared towards kids. I do agree with Charli, we need to know what you're doing to offer help. Have fun with the kids, you will turn them into DIY'ers too.

Thanks for responding! I'm working on painting and I'm trying to build some shelves for the kitchen. I've let them help paint before and they've enjoyed that. Building the shelf is harder to include them in.

Are there any craft projects that they could work on alongside you while you're building a shelf? For example, they could color a picture that you'll hang in their bedroom after you've finished the shelf. That way, you can still get your work done, and your kids will feel included!  🙂

I really like that idea, Nika! I got them both started on a coloring project. They'll be coloring pictures and then we'll send them in the mail to family and friends. It keeps them busy and it cheers people up during the pandemic. Thanks for the idea! 😀

Quote from Chippy on January 20, 2021, 5:14 pm

I really like that idea, Nika! I got them both started on a coloring project. They'll be coloring pictures and then we'll send them in the mail to family and friends. It keeps them busy and it cheers people up during the pandemic. Thanks for the idea! 😀

That's wonderful, Chippy! I'm so happy to hear that you're not just involving your kids in your DIY projects, but also cheering other people up too!  You are making wonderful memories that you and your kids will treasure.